Deputy Editor, Classic Car Buyer
REPORTS TO: EDITOR, CLASSIC CAR BUYER
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our weekly newspaper, Classic Car Buyer, as Deputy Editor. The Deputy Editor will assist with the forward planning and commissioning of content, with a particular emphasis on the news while also generating editorial ideas that open up commercial opportunities. The Deputy Editor’s primary role will be to ensure that the newspaper production runs smoothly throughout the weekly schedule – liaising with the Editor, the commercial team, art editor, marketing and contributors.
Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Liaises with the Editor and Publisher in order to plan and commission content for the newspaper
- Subs the raw content thoroughly to ensure it complies strictly to the brand’s style guide, word count and prepares all the images so the feature is then ready for design
- Adhere to the agreed production processes
- Work to the agreed production schedule and budget
- Attend regular meetings involving editorial and ad departments: format of meetings can vary but should include discussions relating to editorial developments, ad-related issues and other commercial ventures, eg shows. These meetings can also be a good arena to discuss new ideas
- Liaise where necessary with contributors, art editor and advertising sales staff
- Creates commissioning briefs and templates for contributors
- Sets and maintains the style sheet
- Deals with reader correspondence
- Check page proofs, suggesting any corrections
- Deputises for the Editor when he/she is on holiday or off sick
- Attends shows, events and race meetings where relevant and/or there is a commercial need
- Writes news and features as and where required
- Posts on social media when required to do so
- Contributes to the publication’s e-newsletter when required to do so
- Act as a spokesperson for the brand when required to do so
- Able to demonstrate excellent written skills.
- High standard of organisational skills
- Ability to use initiative and be adaptable
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Teams, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Analytics, InDesign
- Professional phone manner
- Heaps of motivation and enthusiasm
- Ability to work with a wide range of people and personalities
- Ability to manage varied workload
- Must be a team player
Organised, creative, professional, enthusiastic, committed, commercial focus, good time management, interpersonal skills, idea generation, good written expression, ability to learn the subject matter quickly.
Enthusiasm, integrity, high standards, self-development, learn from mistakes, contribute ideas, willing to take risks, acts quickly, shares knowledge, supportive of others, team player.