Salary: dependent on experience. Full-time, permanent position.
MATCH, the UK’s longest-running weekly football magazine, and World Soccer, the monthly magazine that has been the unrivalled authority on global football since 1960, is looking for a new Staff Writer to join its Editorial Football Hub. The Staff Writer will have the flexibility and initiative to work remotely from home, but also be expected to regularly join Kelsey’s editorial team based in Peterborough.
The Staff Writer will have a wide range of responsibilities on both magazines and their digital channels. For print, they will be expected to source, develop and produce compelling feature ideas and write engaging copy for MATCH’s target audience – football-mad 8-14 year-olds. For World Soccer, they will be expected to recognise global stories of interest to the football-connoisseur, to enable World Soccer’s network of correspondents to report on them, as well as contributing their own in-house copy where necessary.
In addition to their print responsibilities, the Staff Writer will contribute daily to both brands’ websites and social media – under the guidance of the Assistant Editor. They will be required to conduct interviews with footballers, and attend high-profile matches to obtain social media content and player quotes.
The Staff Writer will be competent at InDesign and have a good eye for detail – subbing competence is preferred, but not essential. They will be great with grammar and be able to write witty captions, exciting sells and clever headlines. But most of all, their football knowledge and passion for the beautiful game will be comprehensive and global – they will know their David Silvas from their Bernardo Silvas, their Nike PhantomVNMs from their Nike PhantomVSNs and their Shanghai Shenhuas from their Shanghai SIPGs. They will live and breathe football, and bring that enthusiasm to a fast-paced, fun environment.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Producing written content on a weekly basis for MATCH – including news stories, topical features, player profiles, image-led fun features, stats & facts and quizzes.
- Taking ownership of FIFA-specific content in MATCH, using image-capture software and existing FIFA knowledge to create engaging, weekly content for FIFA gamers.
- Producing written content on a monthly basis for World Soccer – including news stories, main features, player profiles, monthly diary and results, fixtures and tables.
- Sourcing news stories to satisfy World Soccer’s ‘Global Football Intelligence’ consumer.
- Image sourcing for features in both magazines in liaison with the Assistant Editor and designers.
- Maintaining relationships with important clients and Premier League/EFL club press officers, and building up an extensive list of PR contacts for both brands.
- Generating feature ideas for MATCH and World Soccer at editorial meetings.
- Supporting both brands’ content creation and taking on extra responsibility during periods of annual leave, such as subbing designed pages and proofreading final PDFs.
- Helping to implement digital strategies for MATCH and World Soccer with the Assistant Editor.
- Populating MATCH and World Soccer’s websites with regular written content, interviews and videos.
- Populating both brands’ social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat – in response to major news and trends, and helping to grow our following on each platform.
- Attending football matches, including FA Cup finals and England internationals, and brand events for football boot/kit launches.
- Arranging and conducting interviews with footballers, YouTubers and celebrities.
Creative, organised, professional, enthusiastic, committed, commercial focus, good time management, interpersonal skills, idea generation, good written expression, sets high standards, shares knowledge, supportive of others, ability to remain calm under pressure and exceptional football knowledge.
This role reports into the Group Editor, with additional reporting lines to the Assistant Editor.
Please send your CV, along with a covering letter and salary expectations, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for application is Friday, 12th June 2020.