Salary: dependent on experience. Permanent position.
Based in our rural Kent office in Cudham
Kelsey Media is looking for a Staff Writer to work on its market-leading weekly national newspaper, Cage & Aviary Birds. This is a hugely respected specialist publication, with an illustrious history, dating back to 1902.
The Staff Writer role is perfect for anyone who is looking to break into publishing and aspires to generate news content. You won’t be expected to know the subject already; you will be expected to learn it quickly. Your immediate colleagues will have first-hand expertise in every aspect of your work, so you will receive the best possible training and support.
The Staff Writer will work closely with the Editor and Chief Sub-editor of Cage & Aviary Birds to compile and write up topical material for each week’s issue. The two main areas of responsibility will be the main News (front-of-paper) section, which contains topical material of wide relevance to birdkeepers; and the Club News (back-of-paper) section, which comprises reader-supplied listings information, reports, news stories and photos, relevant to birdkeeping clubs and societies.
In compiling the Club News section, regular liaison with birdkeeping clubs and societies means that you will act as a critical interface between Cage & Aviary Birds and its core readership. In working on both news sections you will become skilled in making best use of reader-supplied content, so that it delivers maximum value. The position would be based mostly from our office in Kent, but there may be a requirement to travel to other offices and around the country on editorial visits to shows and advertisers.
Good written expression, “nose” for news, quick comprehension, ability to learn a specialised subject fast, organised, focused, time management, professional, enthusiastic, committed, interpersonal skills, team player, customer(= reader)-friendly, idea generation. Proficient in Microsoft office. Ability to use InDesign an advantage, but training provided. Full driving licence required.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- NEWS Locating suitable leads for the News section. Under direction of: the Editor.
- NEWS Writing stories for the News section (typically four pages), sourcing photos where appropriate. Under direction of: the Editor.
- Club News Managing the stock of reader-supplied material to be used in future Club News pages (listings, show reports, club meeting reports, etc). Under direction of: Chief Sub-editor.
- Club News Maintaining the club/society listings database. Under direction of: Chief Sub-editor.
- Club News Compiling the Club News section each week, typically five pages. Under direction of: Chief Sub-editor.
- Club News Checking and, where necessary, correcting the Club News pages. Under direction of: Chief Sub-editor.
- Compiling the regular Readers’ Gallery photo competition and Marketplace product page. Under direction of: Chief Sub-editor.
- Supporting: the organisation of competitions and giveaways; maintaining the photographic archive for possible features and brand spin-offs; updating the Cage & Aviary Birds website; reader enquires and general administration to ensure the smooth running of the office
- Checking social media for news leads, photos for publication, and enquiries.
- Attending shows and events where relevant and/or there is commercial need – some photography may be required.
- Acting as a spokesperson for the brand when required to do so.
Enthusiasm, integrity, high standards, self development, learn from mistakes, contribute ideas, willing to take risks, acts quickly, shares knowledge, supportive of others, team player.
Send your CV and cover letter/email in no more than 200 words as to why you should be considered for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for applications 4th August 2017